Temple Emanuel is a Reform synagogue and a member of the Union for Reform Judaism, has a membership of over 130 families. Though Reform, we have a Conservative minyan which meets on Saturday mornings. Congregation Temple Emanuel began as a permanent religious organization in September 1895, with its first Temple being erected in 1901. A wooden building of Byzantine design served the Congregation until the erection of the current Temple Emanuel, which was dedicated in 1923. This synogogue has been in continous use ever since serving the greater Beaumont and Golden Triangle area. We recently raised over $1,700,000 to restore and update our beautiful Temple and its magnificent Sanctuary with construction beginning immediately following the High Holy Days of 2004.
The main sanctuary of this historic house of worship has many features of religious significance. Above the ark on the east wall burns the ner tamid, symbolic of the seven-branch menorah that was the centerpiece of the Temple in Jerusalem. The original ner tamid was always kept lit and served to light the other branches of the menorah. Within the holy ark are three hand lettered parchment scrolls, each containing the Five Books of Moses, known as the Torah. Above the ark is a white marble tablet upon which the first words of each of the Ten Commandments are carved. The central chandelier hanging from the copper dome of the sanctuary is in the shape of a star of David and contains 60 lamps. On the pulpet are two large menorahs that are lit for all services.
The six 16-foot high windows along the north and south sides of the sanctuary are the masterwork of the internationally renowned Israeli artist Ze’ev raban, who in 1922 was retained by Rabbi Samuel Rosinger. Each of the windows depicts a significant event in the life of one of the principal prophets of Judaism. They include Jeremiah, Elijah, Elisha, Ezekiel, Moses, and Isaiah.